Would You Get the LapBand AGAIN.......If you had it to do over...

Jo N.
on 2/6/11 9:19 am, edited 2/6/11 9:28 am - Crawfordsville, IN
As a 5+ yr band vet I have to admit that I've never looked back, had a regret, or any negative after thought about being banded.

Would I recommend it to you? Uhm, probably not. I'd recommend that you take a lot of time to research all your options. To read a lot of people's pro's & con's about all types of WLS. To get as much information about what "tool" you'd like to have & information to would pertain to you in having that "tool" for aftercare. Once you think you have researched & have a crap load of information.... do it all over again.

*And to your later post about Medicare paying for a revision - yes they will. Infact (if you had done a lot of research you'd already know this) they'll pay for VSG that you say you originally wanted. Your doctor just has to "medical necessity" push for it.
Five+ YEARS WITH THE LAP-BAND( 8/31/05)
Highest Weight: 317/Surgery Weight: 267/Lowest Weight: 148
Currently Filled 1.4cc in a 4 cc band APBand
Panniculectomy w/psudeo TT proformed by Dr Bergman 10/8/2009
Need Help With Success? Read a Geneen Roth Book. "When Food Is Love!"

Lisaizme
on 2/6/11 9:58 am - TX
::::Taking it a bit off topic for a bit:::

Jo,

Is your teal ribbon for ovarian cancer?  And can you educate me on the other ribbon? 

Thanks.

::returning to the topic at hand:::
Lisa
"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." Reinhold Niebuhr

Jo N.
on 2/6/11 10:14 am - Crawfordsville, IN

It's teal for cervical/uterine cancer. And the other is orange w/flames for RSD. Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy. A VERY painful severe chronic pain disorder. 

Thanks for asking btw! 

Lisaizme
on 2/6/11 8:23 pm - TX
I asked because I had Endometrial Cancer (same as uterine?) and I've always thought that the support ribbon for it was peach.  I have seen peach & teal combined in a ribbon for Gyn cancer.

So sorry to hear about the RSD.  :(   Chronic pain sucks majorly.
Lisa
"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." Reinhold Niebuhr

Jo N.
on 2/6/11 11:59 pm - Crawfordsville, IN
Technically Cervical & uterine is suppose to be teal over white but when I goggled for a ribbon sized so I could fit it on here all I could ever find was a solid teal one - so I just shrugged & took it.  Endo cancer is different then uterine though in the same are so yep yours would be peach. Mine technically teal over white. 

paint2heal
on 2/6/11 12:14 pm - Belle, WV
Yes - I would chose it again!  I am extremely happy with my band and have had no problems other than 2 stuck episodes from eating too fast.  My only regret is not getting it sooner!  Researching is the best thing you can do.  Remember that since the band doesn't cause malabsorption, you do need to watch your calories, especially during your "losing" stage.  Good luck to you in whatever you choose!
Carla         
Join my 6 WEEK Summer time Weight Loss CHALLENGE!!! from July 11 thru August 22nd.  Join anytime!!!!
SW168/CW162/GW151

MARIA F.
on 2/6/11 12:23 pm - Athens, GA

Carla u got the band just a few mos. b4 me. how much have u lost with it?

FormerlyFluffy.com

(deactivated member)
on 2/6/11 2:49 pm - ~Somewhere in~, PA
 YES! I could have gotten RNY, DS, or the Sleeve, back in 2005, I went to a seminar with Dr Elariny, he is suppose to be the master of all procedures in northern, va, he was performing all types and still considered the master in the DS. After seeing many people with RNY and some with the DS at the seminar, I chose the band, it was RIGHT FOR ME, I knew it was not going to be perfect, but it has been the safest most effective option for me, so far no complications or hospitalizations with my band going on 6 years, I had some fill issues with my previous surgeon, but I changed and I have been smooth sailing since. 

When I was having fill issues with my previous surgeon I second guessed my choice at one point and thought I would not be have having these issues if I had chosen the Sleeve, but now since I've been properly restricted for about 1 year now I don't think there is nothing BETTER than the lap band going on 6 years post op for ME, I don't have eating issues, or port problems or any other problems with my band, I researched it and I know how to use it to prevent complications.

I did not want RNY due to all the potential problems that could go wrong, I DID NOT WANT THE SLEEVE and get my stomach removed and only have restriction for about 1-2 years and then I would risk gaining all my weight back, my sister had something similar to the Sleeve years ago and did great in the beginning and lost all her weight and she gained it all back plus after she could eat more food, so I would NEVER WANT THE SLEEVE since it only has temporary restriction, I am almost 6 years post op and STILL HAVE GOOD restriction NO OTHER SURGERY is STILL EFFECTIVE at 6 years, the DS may be but it has other dangerous issues with it.

I WARN YOU never get a procedure that you DO NOT WANT, your heart will not be in it and you may not do as well if you really do not want the band. If you WANT the Sleeve you need to get it, not because the band was the only choice you have.

One important note, you should be aware with the band, it may take several fills until you reach your sweet spot, and it takes exercise, eating right for it be effective just like the Sleeve, and since your insurance pays for it then getting fills should not be a problem..

Good luck

Krista C.
on 2/6/11 6:55 pm - Quispamsis, Canada
Absolutely! For me, this has been a miracle. I lost 120 lbs with the band. Did I keep it all off ? No, but I stayed at 100 lbs gone for a year and right now am at 85 lbs gone. I teach fitness classes, am engaged to the man of my dreams and can shop in normal stores. Has it been a lot of work? Yes. Has it been hard? I can honestly say that I haven't had many problems - I'm a little too tight right now and waiting to get in for an unfill but nothing compared to some others.

I would absolutely chhose the lap band for myself again.

MaMa_M
on 2/6/11 7:58 pm - MI
I would do it again in a heartbeat! I am feeling better than I have in 15 years!
MaMa M

Most Active